Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Close Call With Cows


I forgot to tell you about the scariest thing that happened while we were in Delicias, the day Max almost died!

One day while we were at the Delicias (Montezuma) apartment.  I was inside and Max was out playing with the neighbor kids in the yard. Usually the big iron gate was closed, but for some reason on this day it was open.  Outside the iron gate is a small, quiet dirt road and across that is a field of cows.

I was inside cooking or doing dishes, I can't remember which, and Ivan was by the front door.  Suddenly I could hear all the kids screaming "Maaaax!!!" and I could tell immediately from their tone of voice that this was not a game.  Ivan was closer than me so I yelled "Ivan run" and I followed behind him.

What we saw was Max standing across the street by himself, all the other kids were at the iron gate yelling to him to run while a herd of cows came clomping down the street towards him.  The man herding the cows raced to the front of the herd cutting off the cows within about 10 feet of Max, within 3 seconds Ivan was there scooping Max up and bringing him back inside the gate but if the man hadn't been fast enough to stop the cows that would probably have been 3 seconds too late.

Max had followed the kids across the road to go see a new baby cow and when they saw the cows coming they ran back inside but Max was still standing there watching the cows coming, I don't think he was even scared or fazed by the entire incident, he thought the cows has just decided to come out and play.

Scared me to death though.

No comments:

Post a Comment